By Barb Teed
The Minnesota Wild and the National Hockey League (NHL) announced the NHL Centennial Fan Arena is coming to St. Paul, September 1-4 at the Minnesota State Fair.
NHL Centennial Fan Arena celebrates a century’s worth of the National Hockey League’s most extraordinary teams, spectacular players and unforgettable moments. Two 53-foot trailers showcase videos, photos and historic memorabilia. Youth can show off their skills on a pop-up ball hockey rink. Fair guests can race against fans across North America to create the perfect sheet of ice aboard a mini-Zamboni virtual reality ice resurfacer. Special guests will stop by and, on Sept. 1 & 2 only, the oldest and most-revered trophy in professional sports – the Stanley Cup – makes an appearance.
Free with fair admission. Fair goers need to pre-register for the activities. Brought to you by the Minnesota Wild.
The NHL Centennial Fan Arena includes:
- Museum Truck: The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, historical memorabilia and unique photo moments.
- Entertainment Truck: A second 53-foot trailer will host a giant video screen featuring team trivia and highlights, as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances.
- The “Rink”: A pop-up ball hockey rink will give youth hockey players a chance to shine with programmed games and clinics.
- Clear the Ice Zamboni VR Experience: This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans from across North America to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini-Zamboni ice resurfacer, feel cool air on their skin and their seat rumble, as they are tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice – in virtual reality. All races will be timed and shared on a leaderboard.
- Stanley Cup: The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance Sept. 1 & 2 only.
Located at Expo Place, north of Murphy Ave. between Cooper and Cosgrove streets, east of the Pet Center. Sept. 1-4, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Stanley Cup appearance Sept. 1 & 2, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Minnesota State Fair: Pronto Pups, a Banquet on a Stick- September 1, 2018 Minnesota State Fair: The Lunch Box: A Tradition; A Love Affair- August 28, 2018 Minnesota State Fair: Great Big Wheel Rides Again- August 25, 2018 Minnesota State Fair: The Hangar – A New Historic Facelift- August 24, 2018 Minnesota State Fair: Debut of Haunted Dark Ride delayed- August 20, 2018 Minnesota State Fair: 35 new merchandise vendors- August 14, 2018 Minnesota State Fair:- August 1, 2018
Juicy LuLuLucy! 27 brand-new beverages premiering for 2018
Minnesota State Fair: Ye Old Mill SOLD; 2018 Admission Stays the Same- January 16, 2018 Minnesota State Fair: $11.1 million improvements for 2018- January 16, 2018 Super Bowl 52: Stefon Diggs, Nickelodeon help charities- February 3, 2018